Friday, November 5, 2010

Broken Bones

 



Boys break bones.   Active boys are particularly at risk for breaking bones.  Doctors across the country are noticing an increase in fractures and researchers suspect this increase may be related to calcium deficiencies.  I suspect it is a combination of boyhood and a mild calcium deficiency.

I had never broken a bone in my life, however, my son has had three broken bones (to date); one requiring surgical repair.  I am now calm to the experience and take it in stride.

The circumstances surrounding the broken bones are actually quite comical, in hindsight.  

First break--brother and sister fighting over seat in car leads to car door slam on thumb.

Second break--brother and sister riding two on one bike barefoot with crash into curb and subsequent toe break.

Third break--snowboarding down a course (without prior inspection of the course) led to a jump gone bad and broken wrist.  The bummer about this break was we were stranded on the mountain without any orthopedic services and had to wait until the next morning to drive to the ER back home.  It was a very long night.  The funniest memory was of Grant's rugby coach when he had to show up at practice with his cast.  Coach walked up, gave a look of disdain, muttered "dumb-ass" then simply turned around and walked away.  It was the beginning of the season and needless to say he wasn't happy.  Rugby coaches are tough.

My only hope is that we preserve what unbroken bones are left and can make it into adulthood without another trip to the ER.

Photo above of the first thumb break and cast.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grant Garrity - I have you beat. I know I am "slightly" older than you and have a few more years to be in the official lead of the broken bone category, but here it goes. Four pinky breaks (yes, the pinky bone 4 times) and one big toe break. Apparently I have problems with my extremities. Please do not try and catch me. Your mother would not be proud! Your neighbor, Angela.