Saturday, December 4, 2010

Stubborn vs. Persistent

I guess the old English proverb "the apple does not fall far from the tree" holds true.  Reflecting back, my dad was quite the stubborn one.  This trait served him well in some aspects of life (though I'm sure it drove others crazy).  He did not give up, overcame many obstacles as a child and, after a long haul, was professionally successful in a difficult field.  This trait was woven into my DNA, and then inherited by my son.

Looking at the definitions of stubborn and persistent--their root appears the same but the interpretation (one positive and one negative) is different.  
Stubborn: unreasonably obstinate; fixed or set in purpose or opinion.
Persistent: persevering; enduring tenacity.

On the one hand, any parent would agree that a stubborn child can be a source of gray hairs.  On the other hand, this child may become a persistent adult and persistence definitely has perks in life.


Even today, I am amazed by my son's persistence (I never liked negative labels on kids).  Pop pop would be smiling were he here.  If it is something of personal importance or value, Grant simply will not give up.  Despite my many well-earned gray hairs, I truly adore this trait and hope it serves him well in life.  

Photo above of my dad aka Pop pop doing what he loved.

No comments: