Sunday, October 3, 2010

Discipline and the Sensei


Teaching good old fashioned values like respect and self-discipline have become increasingly more difficult with our Generation Me.   Our children are watching TV shows that would make our parents' skin crawl.  When I walk into the room with the TV on and hear a rapid succession of "bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep" I always say, "Turn that crap off!"  God, do I sound like my dad.

Martial arts should be mandatory for all little boys.  It builds confidence, self-esteem, self-discipline, respect and concentration.  Not to mention the physical benefits.  Karate is the art of fighting without actually fighting--or starting a fight. Fortunately, a Taekwondo karate studio was right down the street and Sensei Carlos entered Grant's life.

Sensei Carlos demanded respect both in and outside his dojo.  I remember him pulling me aside after class one day.  In his broken English he said, "Betty, you tell me about Grant's grades and his school, okay?  I want to know what is going on all the time okay?  Even at home and how he treats his sister."
I was thrilled--I had an ally.

It only took once.  I told Sensei about an incident between Grant and his sister.  An argument gone bad.  Needless to say, Sensei Carlos let Grant have it with a long lecture followed by some physical "chores." After that reprimand all I had to say was, "I don't think Sensei Carlos would want to hear about this...." and the unruly behavior would stop immediately.

I do think karate contributed to improved self-discipline, concentration and the respect they promote.  I saw a difference with my own eyes.  It was also amazing to watch my little boy break a block of wood in half with his bare hands.  That was concentration.  I truly hope Grant will always remember his Sensei with great fondness, respect and gratitude. 

The photo above is of Sensei Carlos presenting Grant his green belt.



 

No comments: