Friday, February 11, 2011

On Love



The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched....but are felt in the heart.
-Helen Keller

We can all reminisce about our high school romances--some tumultuous, some love/hate and some that simply should not have been.  And there were those perfect matches we all envied, too.  But through it all we learned great lessons of love.


Fortunately, for my son, a serious girlfriend did not come too early in life and in high school an adorable, sweet girl entered his world (and our family).  I felt so protective of her.  Was my son taught enough about being respectful, being a gentleman?  I worried as all mothers do.


I remember a conversation I had with one of our favorite elementary school teachers (Miss C), after school one day long ago.  She was a tall, elegant, beautiful lady who had gotten engaged.  The kids were awed by the ring on her finger.  When I prodded if he was "worthy" she laughed and said her fiance's mother definitely did well and taught him right.  He was a complete gentleman, took good care of her, adored and protected her, was chivalrous and all of those other "must-haves" girls dream of.  That conversation always stayed in the back of my mind when raising my son.

I hope Grant remembers our many discussions (ad-nauseum) and he will always be a gentleman.  I can already see him rolling his eyes when he reads this.  If he is able to tune-in, listen and follow his heart, I have faith for a very happy future filled with love.

No comments: