Saturday, April 2, 2011

Letting Go: Part II



I am an emotional wreck.  I just returned from taking my baby to his college orientation day.  The day was bittersweet.  How could it be that my baby is getting ready to go off to college and start his independent life?  I was just changing his diapers and wiping his snotty nose yesterday!  It was a long six hour drive each way with a lot of time to talk about life, expectations, plans and also much silence on my part as I reflected on this next transition.  I won't mention the arguing on each others driving skills.


The process of even getting a child to college is so very daunting these days.   The pressure for good grades in high school, SAT/ACT testing and test prep, investigating all types of colleges, the college application process itself, completing the dreaded FAFSA, applying for other financial aid and scholarships--the list goes on and on.  It is quite overwhelming as any parent of a collegiate can attest.


As I sat teary-eyed in the auditorium yesterday amongst all of the other incoming freshman and parents--one thing I knew for sure;  my son was ready and he chose a college that is truly the best fit for him and his promising future.  I am so proud.

Senior photo above

No comments: