Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Value of Work

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
-Vince Lombardi


I recall my first job at age sixteen.  It was Gazebo's Yogurt Shop and I remember feeling so mature and responsible.  It was fun when friends came into the shop to visit and get some frozen yogurt.  The spending money was also a nice perk. 

Grant followed in my footsteps and although it was at one of the fast food establishments I most despise (from a dietitian's perspective), nonetheless, he has been working at this job since the age of sixteen.  I am very proud of his demonstrated responsibility to his employer given school and sport commitments.  Fortunately, they have always been flexible with his schedule.

As a parent, I have always viewed youth employment as a tool to teach financial competency as well as social education.   Working in a customer service driven job at minimum wage certainly is a stepping stone to learn the value of money, hard work and people skills.  A good article in the NY Times addressed similar issues.

It was great to hear friends and acquaintances around town say, "Betty, I saw Grant at the drive-through and he was so polite and seems so mature."  Yes!  The value of work.

No comments: